If we look at the most valuable currency on this planet, our first thought often sways towards dollars, dinars, pounds, etc, or in some cases the crypto-currency called Bitcoin. Time is actually the most valuable currency – one second lost cannot be bought back.
Everyone has an equal number of hours per week to become unequal — be it local tea stall owner, shopkeeper or someone as big as Mark Zuckerburg or Elon Musk? So what is that they (Musk, Zuckerburg) do to create that big difference between their success and of others? The understand how important it is to manage their time.
When we talk about time management it is merely an art of priority management, so are we prioritizing the schedule or scheduling the priority? If we have our priorities scheduled, then the amount of success or achievement of goal will not be an issue, however, if we prioritize our schedule we may have a good schedule but our goals will not be achieved to the level that we may want.
Doing the Right Thing
Similarly, what is more important doing the right thing or doing things rightly? Lot of people believe that doing things rightly is the way to success, but doing the wrong things rightly will leave you high and dry on goal achievement status. So doing the right thing is far more important than anything.
Time management is to make sure that you stay productive throughout the day and it should not be assumed that all the tasks will be completed within a time frame. The most important benefit that can be extracted out of it would be from the fact that you will get organized and it will improve your productivity both on the academic and professional front.
Practice Time-Management Seriously
If you may have wondered why your boss is always busy and finicky about time then the reason is simple, they are practicing time-management. Time management cannot be adopted in a day but has to be practiced over the years to get the desired outcome.
Still not sure where you are spending your time? Here are three questions to ask yourself.
- What is distracting you? List the top 3 distractions you feel you can cut in your day.
- How are you scheduling your priorities now? Use this week to start a new system using tips above to see if it can help.
- How much time are you spending on social media? Analyze if you need to draw firmer digital boundaries.
Now I’m going to share with you nine habits that can help you manage your time better. They really work, too!
9 Habits To Help You Manage Time
- Take a note of things on paper or digitally to help you cruise through the day.
- Assign toughest task at the beginning of the day so that biggest hurdles can be overcome.
- Prioritize tasks – the most important tasks need to be finished at the earliest.
- Learn to say NO to people or tasks will increase at hand and existing tasks may fail to see closure.
- Stick to your break timings as they may take up your productive time period.
- Don’t waste your time on social media and respond to messages if they are very important.
- Learn to delegate tasks as you alone cannot do everything.
- Most importantly, keep a clock on your desk to track your time on tasks.
- Break tasks into shorter goals so that every goal achieved keeps you motivated during the day.